SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
I really, really, really like steel LeMonds. I've got a 03 or 04 Maillot Jaune (Reynolds 853) and it's my #1 even though by nature I'm a bit of a retro-grouch and do own an 80s Basso with full Super Record. The Sarthe would be my bike if I were in the market new MJs are some mix of different material and IMO are pretty generic nowadays. The Sarthe carries on the steel legacy. I think they use a TrueTemper alloy instead of the Reynolds currently.

LeMond makes a big deal about their geometry and I do find the "relaxed" seattube with the resulting longer toptube to be comfortable and efficient. You need to ride it.

Can't give you much about the others but for me it begins and ends with the LeMond.

Of course I don't care that LeMond doesn't get along with Lance either.

I too like the LeMond steel bikes. I bought a trashed 2000 Zurich frame on ebay back in December and had it stripped down and repainted then I built it up with Campy Chorus 9spd. The paint job was a mess but the frame was very sound so it made a fine candidate for refurbishing. I've always wanted to buy another steel bike and outfit it with Campy components since I had my 1970s Motobecane LeChampion stolen back in the early 90s. I'd still have that bike today if it weren't stolen. The LeMond isn't a lugged Reynolds 531 bike but I love it and the way it rides...in many ways it's better than my old Motobecane. I'm still toying with the idea of buying a set of sewup wheels for it.

Sorry, I can't resist an opportunity to post a pic of this bike.