Old 09-04-06, 09:00 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Headset binding - 1966 Raleigh Sport? (AMF Hercules)

'Hey',

I bought an AMF-Hercules, everything including the inner tubes is Made In England. The Sturmey AW hub code is '11-6' which I guess is for 1966. Not sure, but it may be a rebadged Raleigh Sport w/ Hercules details (far-out chainguard & what else?).

I'm doing a quick-over to make it roadworthy. New tires, tighten & lube the things I can. Oil in the hubs and the BB port, I ain't touching the AW which seems to be in great condition anyway, or the cottered crank BB if I can possibly avoid it. Judging from the lack of wear on the chain, sprockets, and tires, I'd guess it doesn't have 100 miles on it.

I did drop the headset though, got 50 tiny balls out. It wasn't binding before I took it apart, just wanted to give it its 40-year overhaul. Didn't notice any obvious problems with the races or balls. Got 50 balls back in, 25 top & 25 bottom, mixed the top & bottom balls though (Doh!?). Now, I can't find an adjustment that is not either too loose or binding. Always binds in the same place: fork turned far to the right, farther than would ever be done in an actual ride. In my effort to solve this, took it apart again & wiped off the polyurea grease & put motor oil instead. No change. Thought maybe taking it off the stand & riding it a bit might help, but no change, still binds when cranked all the way to the right. (Haven't ridden it much yet, only a couple of blocks, have to fix some other stuff.)

Do I need to get to the 'root cause' & solve it to avoid damaging it? Any ideas what the 'root cause' is? As is, it doesn't impact normal riding. Just don't want it to get worse or damage a part.

This is my 2nd lifetime 'overhaul', so I'm not sure of my skills on setting the headset adjustable cup. Is this just a very very hard thing for newbies?

Thanks,

-Rich

Last edited by duffer1960; 09-04-06 at 09:12 PM.