View Single Post
Old 09-04-06, 09:31 PM
chickenmonkey
Lurking since Aug 05

Bikes: Salsa Primero<br>2000 Fuji Team Cross<br>Pedal Force RS<br>Peugeot PN-10 (Late 80s, Super Vitus 980)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 Seconds of Nature Trying to Get Me

So, I'm going downhill at about 25 mpg in the last three miles of my 38 mile 4k vertical ride (see the thread on California riding) and then all hell breaks loose. Well, not really, but you know...it was a little exciting.

First, I get hit by an insect. I think nothing of it, until about five seconds later I feel a sharp pain on the top of my upper thigh...freaking bee...I look down and the stinger is sitting there through my shorts. I pull it out and continue down the hill. Bummer I think...but no big deal.

I have about 100 yards before I turn off of this road up a short hill and onto a flat, so I hit the breaks and downshift and turn. I see a man on one of those scooters for people with mobility problems. As I get to the top of the rise, I hear, "Come here. Come here!," multiple times.

I look over and there is a smallish dog coming at me at full speed looking like he doesn't like me. I go to sprint like hell, and lucky for me, I shifted well and have pleanty of gear left and ride away after about 5 good kicks. Good times.

This was the first time I was chased by a dog in a long time. When I was a kid I had a paper route and could never outrun the dogs on a BMX bike and a full load of papers...this was much better.

Anyway, the bee sting is doing well, no swelling...and I thought about driving back to talk to the guy with the dog, but figured I'd never find him. If it happens again, it's animal control time.

Chickenmonkey