Old 09-05-06, 08:24 AM
asu_gt

Bikes: Kestrel talon sl, Specialized Tarmac SL, Paket tandem, Co-Motion Robusta tandem, Burley Paso Doble tandem with child stoker kit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have not ridden a Santana, but I did ride a colleague's ~2003 Tetra Tetra for a 50 mile ride with my wife, who is my regular stoker. Overall, it was a very nice ride, however I felt that there was a bit more flex to the frame during hard efforts on the hills, compared to a Co-motion Robusta we rode previously on the same hills. I have no real data regarding frame stiffness of the TT vs. the Robusta; just my perception. Stoker felt both were about the same in terms of comfort.

We ended up buying a 2006 Robusta. I felt the Robusta was a bit more responsive and actually handled more like my single bike. I have about 1600 miles on the Robusta and I am very happy with it. I rode RAGBRAI this year on it with a different stoker each day (from PD patients to a Cat 3 racer). The Cat 3 guy was amazed at our speed and how well the bike handled.

I really wanted to buy the Calfee, I like carbon and I like everything about the company but in the end the Robusta was a better choice for us.

I have a Paketa frame and the components that I will build up this winter. It will be interesting to see how the Paketa and Robusta compare.
Jay

Originally Posted by counselguy
I currently own a Santana Team Nobium purchased in May of this year. It is a very nice bike with a WinZip disc, Sweet 16 wheels, and the other parts of the Team package. However, I have now seen and ridden a Calfee Tetra Tetra tandem and love the bike. I really like the ride of the Calfee as well as its handling. I have been thinking carbon over the last month and must admit that I am leaning in that direction now. However, i have also heard that if I am going to get another bike, I should sell the Santana this fall.

Has anyone out there had a Santana and switched to a Calfee? If so, have you been pleased with your decision?

Also, my bike new cost $6,500 fully equipped. It is Black, has 1100 miles and is in like new condition. What do you think would be a fair price? Added Flight Deck, Cat Eye for stoker, and rack.

Thanks for your advice.
Counselguy