View Single Post
Old 09-05-06, 07:19 PM
TrackSmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PIZZ
Well actually its an 80s Fuji that I converted to single speed, pretty much a beater, nice bike though but probably wouldnt be worth much. Thinking about getting one of those Kryptonite New York lock chains or Ulocks. I would probably put a quick release seat to take with me and take the pedals as well.

Well, in that case, I think an overnight lock-up would be okay assuming that the area is well-lit and well-travelled. An 80's fuji with no shifting mechanisms to steal (single speed!), sounds exactly like something you'd use for getting around town or to the train station.

Bike locks buy you time, not security. About 2 minutes for a cheap cable lock. Probably 5 minutes for a cheap U-lock. Maybe 20 minutes for a good quality U-lock. I personally have a normal Kryptonite U-lock. It's not very good, but I won it at "bike to work day" one year. I use it because it was free and my bike is cheap.

If I were to BUY a new lock for overnight parking it would be the OnGuard Bulldog Mini or Pitbull Mini. Small (means it's harder to get leverage tools onto), relatively light weight (about 2 pounds I think). Tough as nails. Oh yeah, only about $20. You'd still want something to secure your front wheel. This is a nice combo:

http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Bulldo...sporting-goods

http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-PitBul...659234?ie=UTF8

From a previous post:

alanbikehouston

When someone buys a nice bike, often their first question is: What is the "best bike lock" I can buy? Or, who makes the "strongest bicycle lock" money can buy?

The April 2005 issue of UK's "Cycling Plus" included the results of their 2005 lock tests. Cycling Plus tested the locks by trying to break them with manual tools favored by crooks and then cutting them with the type of portable, battery-operated power tools used by crooks.

SHORT VERSION OF TEST RESULTS: The Kryptonite New York 3000 U-lock is the "best bike lock" and the "strongest bicycle lock" for high crime areas and an expensive bike.

The OnGuard Bulldog Mini U-lock (just $24 at REI) is the "best bike lock", and for its low price, "the strongest bicycle lock" for average neighborhoods and for less expensive expensive bikes.

The European models: the Squire Paramount Plus, and the Axa-Basta Secu-City Plus model did almost as well as the New York lock. The German-designed mid-price Abus lock, was only "average" against power tools.

LOOONG VERSION OF TEST RESULTS: The tests using manual tools had one scary and surprising result: the locks were so strong that when heavy force was applied to the locks, the frame of the bike got mangled, while the locks remained in good shape.

To prevent damage to the frame, and to fully protect both the frame and rear wheel, position your lock around the rear wheel, just behind (but not around) the seat tube. That locking procedure secures both the frame and rear wheel. If a crook uses a prying method, he might bend the wheel, but he won't damage the frame.

HOW TO CORRECTLY LOCK YOUR BIKE by Sheldon Brown:

www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Last edited by TrackSmart; 09-05-06 at 07:32 PM.