Old 09-07-06, 12:56 PM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroMax
I'm just old enough to remember the end of an era. After a ballgame, we would walk a short distance to a spot where trains were waiting on six tracks (or more), engines all lined up parallel to each other and pointed toward the switch to the mainline. Instead of parking lot craziness, a festive atmosphere prevailed aboard the train and those who may have taken in so much stuff of any type to impair their judgement or reactions were of no danger to themselves or others. It didn't take too long to get the last train on its way but it didn't matter as much anyway. Those who didn't live far enough out to use the train could walk to rapid transit. I suppose some people drove and that there was parking somewhere but I can't remember.
You can actually do this with the light rail at any game in Cleveland. All three stadiums (football, basketball, baseball) are a short walk from the rail lines which extend into the suburbs on both the easy and west sides of town. For basketball games you don't even need to go outside.
This is surprising given how auto centric the city tends to be.
Craig