Old 09-11-06, 11:55 AM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Glottus
Anybody have first-hand experience with the Wike DIY kit trailers (http://wicycle.com/trailer.htm)? I'm trying to determine a few things:

1. How easy would it be to add extra sections to what they show as an example here: http://wicycle.com/kitbigtube.jpg, making a trailer that is closer to 72 or even 96 inches long (assuming that each new section is about 24 inches long)? Basically, I'd like to make my own trailer that is similar to the Bikes at Work trailers, but for less money, and in a way that I can change the length of the trailer depending on need.
I would suggest you keep the section between the hitch and wheels as rigid as possible. With that in mind, it's very easy to add a frame section behind the wheels, but not as easy to do in the front part. Unless you have very limited storage room and/or plan not to use the trailer very often, I would suggest you design two frames: a short one, say 30 to 48" long, that you would use all the time, and a long one that you would use only when the need arises. Make sure the short frame is lightweight enough to be user friendly. You could share wheels between both trailer frames.

From what you say, I would make the basic frame long enough for both dogs and narrow enough to fit through a standard door frame (i.e. wheels narrower than 31 or 32"). That would take care of 90% of your riding needs.

3. The website lists a cargo capacity of 150 lbs. Has anyone pushed that limit? By how much without worrying about it? My dogs come in under that together, but who knows what else I'd like to haul?
Basically, the only critical part is the hitch itself. The frame is yours to design. I can't tell you whether or not the Wike hitch is sturdy enough to do the job, but I am almost certain it is. In doubt, the Bikes at Work hitch is much more solid; it will whitstand 300-400 lb, but I can guarantee you it will severely scratch the paint of your frame. And the Bikes at Work hitch is likely to be hit by your left foot, whereas the Wike hitch won't interfere with your foot. Another worthwile point: the hitch of the Wike trailer won't rock back and forth.

4. I've seen on other BF threads here where people recommend two wheeled carts that have BOTH sides of each wheel supported by trailer frame
If all things were equal, it makes for a stronger axle and it protect the wheels from close encounters with a fence, door frame... But there is a price to pay: your trailer will be a bit heavier and about 1.5 inches wider.
That being said, I have used for 4 years a Chariot 2-children trailer and have now replaced it by a Burley Nomad. The Chariot eventually went beyond its useful life and would have needed lots of repairs ($ and time), but the axles were not a problem.

5. Anyone had the unique opportunity to compare the build quality/handling of these three (my top choices: Bikes at Work, Equinox [they also make a dog trailer and a bigger dog trailer similar to their kiddie models that look great, but are spendy], and Wike)?[/QUOTE]

From what I see, all three trailer manufacturers have good hitches that attach near the rear axle, a better place than the seatstay. The Wike attachment is easy to carry from bike to bike and extra brackets are cheap. The Bikes at Work hitch probably won't work if your bike uses an Arai drum brake or a disc brake, so you should check that one. And both the Equinox and the Bikes at Work hitches will be almost permanently attached to your bike, so if you want to ride with 2-3 bikes, you'll need extra hitches or 10-15 minutes to move the hitch from bike to bike. The Wike attachment is moved in about 1 minute, especially if your quick release handle is on the right side.

In terms of trailer design:
- I prefer spoke wheels which usually use better bearings. Not a problem for short cargo hauls, but if you ride across the country, you will prefer to have good hubs.
- The "do it yourself" frame of the Wike doesn't appeal to me. So you should either build your own frame and use their wheel and hitch kit, or go towards the Bikes at Work frame.
- The Bikes at Work frame is an overkill to carry your grocery, and probably for medium-size dogs too. Their trailer is made for serious hauling.
- If I compare the dog/children trailers, the Equinox uses an open top design, so you'll be able to carry bulky items without major trailer surgery. It's not as sturdy however.
And is the Wike dog trailer large enough for two dogs?