Old 09-11-06, 09:08 PM
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Zen ride!

Tonight was one of those special moments, when everything is perfect and you can ride forever. Started off with a visit to my chiropractor to deal with a pinched nerve.

Felt good after work, so I jumped on the trusty mtb and took off for a 20-mile ride and within a couple of minutes everything was falling into place. I was painfree for the first time in a couple of weeks, the weather was perfect -- mid-70s, sunny, no wind, the legs were strong, and the road was calling to me. Worked up to a comfortable pace that raised the heart rate and built up a good sweat, and it hit me . . . I was having the perfect ride.

Crossed the river and listened to the steady drone of the tires on the pavement, the rhythm of the crank, the smooth mess of the gears and chain. The asphalt became a blur and I stopped checking the computer . . . I just went with the flow. Noticed the glorious colors of the evening, the gold hue on the mountains as the sun sank lower, the beginnings of fall colors on the upper reaches, smelled the fresh cut alfalfa hay, the churping of crickets. Did not notice I was climbing the big hill about a third into the ride, but busted right up about two gears better than normal. Rounded the halfway point of the ride, savoring the sights and sounds during a short water break, and then back in the saddle for the ride home. Caught myself grinning from ear to ear as I weaved back and forth down a two-mile grade at 30 mph. It just doesn't get any better.

Covered the 20 miles in just over an hour and 20 minutes -- best time ever -- but the time did not matter. The ride was sweet and life is good on the zen side of the street.

Countdown to the new bike: 10 days