RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by reece2
I think any kind of "group ride" at this point would be a little intimidating! Still trying to figure out where all the levers are, if you know what I mean! But I think I'll get there.
The kind of group rides I'm referring to are "social" rides. The riders, usually a mix of ages and abilities, meet at a bike shop, school, pub, etc. and ride 10-25 miles. Great fun.
Look at the ride calendar on the Southern Bicycle League's website, www.bikesbl.org, for a ride near you.

I'm signed up for a community school class on trail biking and general bike maintenance, but that's not until December.
We (Atlanta Bicycle Campaign) offer Bike Ed classes every Saturday. Look at our website (www.atlantabike.org -- click on "Bike Classes") for a class near you if you're interested. I'm one of the instructors. Scary!!!

I don't bike commute to work - I'm 25 miles from work, and at my current pace, that would be about a 2.5 hour ride. I do, however, bike to church, the grocery store (if the items can be carried in a backpack), my kids' high school for football games, stuff like that.
That's a great start to bike commuting. Maybe you can find a way to do a combo with public transit and bike or a car-bike combo someday.
See the Commuting forum for other ideas, answers, and any help may want.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.