Old 09-18-06, 09:12 AM
jzztchr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB and front derailleur question--upgrade

Hi,
I'm in the process of upgrading the drivetrain on my '81 Panasonic DX-4000 sport touring model. Right now, its got Shimano Ultegra 52/40 crank assemblies w/165 mm length pedal cranks on a 12 speed with 12-26 gearing freewheel--not freehub. The pedals are a little too short and at 6'2" with 34 inch inseam I'm thinking of 175's or at least 172.5's. These are all on a 61 cm frame which I really like and which is comfortable for long rides. My current inherited chain is stretched and needs to be changed out anyway, and I'd like to go to the 172.5 or 175's. I'd also like a wider gear range as there is a fair bit of climbing in the Hudson Valley.

I've assembled most of the parts to do this without spending much money: SRAM wide range 9-speed cassette (11-34); KMC 9-speed chain;Shimano LX rear derailleur(long cage);MAVIC aero 700mm rear wheel w/quick release. Conti rear tire and tube. I've already upgraded to clipless pedals for not much $, and I'm very happy with them.

Ill be keeping the Ultegra brakes and the Shimano 600 friction shifters. They work just fine and I like simple. The Richey compact double (50-36 non-carbon) w/ 175's looks attractive.

RE BB: How wide should do I need to go? 118.3 ?! I know the current BB which is believe is 108 or 110 is too narrow for the 9-speed...I'm also wondering if the wide-range gearing presents any issues here? Also, what is your advice on BB type (octalink, ISIS, mega)

Second, is this going to require a new front derailleur?

My rationale for the upgrade is mixed. Some of the current gear needs replacement/renewal (the chain) and some (the cranks) would be better in a newer size. Finally, if I decide to away from the old Cr-Mb steel frame, I can take this stuff with me, and just sell the frame, which would be good for a single-speed conversion (much prized in nearby NYC).

If any one has some advice on this, I would be appreciative. Thank you.