genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
I often ride in the center of the lane in given circumstances, such as when riding in a narrow lane.

I'm wondering about John Franklin's advise to ride in the center, though. Could it be that his advise is based on typically narrow roads in the U.K.? If so, would it apply when riding on wider roads such as we often find in the U.S.?

I ask because as I said, if the lane is narrow, I tend to ride in the center of the lane. But if the lane is wide enough, it doesn't make as much sense to me.
It really depends on where and how wide is wide.

I ride a bike lane on a 50MPH road... that road has signs on it to warn motorists that driveways are ahead in 200 yards... wonder why that sign is there? Motorists coming out may not see motorists approaching... and vice versa. Well gee, if they cannot see a huge darn car... can they see me on a bike hiding in the bike lane... probably not.

So I tend to ride out of the BL and just to the left of the stripe... where everyone can see what is happening just a bit better.

Now if there is auto traffic on the road with me... well they are my "cover" and it is not likely that anyone is going to pull out just as a car comes by... so I am in the BL at the times that same direction traffic is moving with me.