View Single Post
Old 09-21-06, 11:52 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Viggen Ed
I sometimes wonder how many of the people who regularly ride Walmart bikes have ever tried a well serviced used LBS bike. I know my girlfriend was riding a dept-store MTB with me and having some trouble keeping up with my cruiser when we rode. I took her to the bike store, and with the first turn of the pedals she was hooked!

This is not a person who subscribes to any biking philosophy, she would have ridden that Huffy and thought long distances were out of her reach forever if she hadnt tried that old scratched up bike store GT we got for her. 95 bucks, then we added a coupla accessories ( blinkie, kickastand ), and she is quite a happy camper.
I don't disagree with you again. But... the people who buy dept-store bikes generally aren't intent on riding "long" distances. In many cases, the bikes are transport for short distances. All said and done, people will bypass a good-quality anything, albeit scratched up and cheaper, for bright and shiny brand new if it falls within their budget.

The other factor at play is image -- that few bike shops carry used stock, and the prices promoted in windows would scare off many prospective low-priced customers anyway.