View Single Post
Old 09-21-06, 03:41 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have heard of several bike manufacturing companies going bust over the years. (Sram was one of them- or they were taken over by someone else at some point) and several companies coming out with products that did not enhance their reputataion or please their customers.Personally- I have never had a problem with shimano products so have never been tempted to stray away from something I know and trust. Only time I ever have was when I was talked into buying a Sram chain. It was not as crisp as I thought it should have been when fitted to my all shimano set up and I think I still have it isn the bike shed with only a hundred or so miles fitted to it. I also have a couple of broken Dure-Ace chains there to remind me never to buy them again.

Whenever I have to get a new derrailer or a new chain or shifters- I do look at the Other manufacturers gear and am often surprised at how expensive they are. Then a year later that model is on close out as a newer model or version has come out. I also keep hearing how good this other equipment is but as I have found out- It may not suit my riding style or my current set up. Take Grip shifters. One of my mates bought a bike with this fitted and he was not too happy about them. Instead of changing to conventianal shifters- he went and bought the most expensive grip shifters. And he kept buying them although he kept having problems with them. Why? I do not know but he was just one of those people that wants to try something new all the time. I am different. If it works for me, then I keep on using it. If it does not work well enough then I go for an upgrade- but in 15 years of cycling- I have sussed out what works for me- what I like and more important- what I do not like.

Campy -sram and probaly some others about, Have their own followers. I suppose they are like me. They started with it- never had any problems so have stayed with it. To actually state that Campy or Sram are better than Shimano is just a personal preference. Perhaps someone will come out with a modiication that does work better than one of the others for a while, but R&D gets going or copies with a twist get made and they are all back to the same level. In the meantime- I'll stay with the gear I know and trust and be happy with it.

Spike Milligan