View Single Post
Old 08-30-03, 04:42 PM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hunter and miamijim, please note that I was specifically discussing CAD, and not other cardiac problems that may cause heart failure.

miamijim, I agree with what you're saying, which is why I also suggested that a cardiac workup is a good idea for someone returning to exercise after getting out of shape. However, even after an MI that causes tissue death, revascularization can and does occur, and the CAD itself can be reversed. The heart can be strengthened, and even someone with 25% tissue damage can become fully fit again (as I know from personal experience).

Hunter, here's a report on a recent study indicating that lifestyle-related risk factors are likely to be the overwhelming cause of CAD. There may have been other sorts of heart problems that led to the deaths of those athletes, and there are always exceptions (90% may be an overwhelming majority, but it's not everyone; yet's it's a mistake to pick an exception and try to generalize backwards from it).

"Most people with heart disease do have at least one risk factor

"Reported by Susan Aldridge, PhD, medical journalist

"An analysis reveals that the vast majority of those with heart disease have been exposed to at least one known risk factor.
Allthough it is known that diabetes, smoking, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure increase the risk of heart disease, it is commonly believed that many heart attacks occur for other reasons. There could be genetic factors, say, or risk factors still be to discovered.

"However, a new analysis from researchers at Northwestern University, Chicago, now reveals that conventional risk factors do play a major role in heart disease. They looked at three major studies of risk factors and heart disease and found that where fatal heart attacks were concerned, 87 to 100 per cent of those affected had at least one risk factor. For non-fatal heart attack, the figures were slightly lower, This suggests that heart disease may be more preventable than previously realised. If you want to avoid having a heart attack, a healthy lifestyle is a great investment.

"Source
Journal of the American Medical Association 19th August 2003"

RichC