Old 09-22-06, 08:34 AM
tuck
truthiness detector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test your Bicycle Mechanic skills!!! Diagnose this.....

Ya, ya...its another creaking problem...but wait! I have read and re-read Park Tools creak and Sheldon Browns Creak problem pages to no avail and done everything in them I could (I dont have some tools to get into the steering and cassette) . For about the past month or so I have been dealing with a creaking/ metal popping rubbing sound that I 'feel' in the drivetrain. The best description I can give is if you have ever seen the movie The Shining it sounds like the r sound when the kid starts saying "redrum, redrum" But its just the 're, re, re' part. I used to think it was only when I put a load on the crank on the downstroke, but have since changed my opinion. I think it is more intermittant with the longer I ride the worse it gets and more consistent. Right now as soon as I put weight on the crank, the noise starts. Also, when coasting she’s as quiet as a mouse.

Bike setup:
GT ZR1.0 Aluminum
Dura Ace 7700 components except for the new bottom bracket (it’s a 105 but it is the octalink and is actually based off the old dura ace bottom bracket except for the fact that it’s a sealed cartridge type and isn’t adjustable.
Rolf Vector Pro’s
Vittoria 700x23 tires
Aluminum Bontrager Race Seat post

Things I have tried include(in no particular order):
1) changing bottom bracket from a dura ace 7700 to a 105 cartridge type bb.
2) pulling the bottom bracket regreasing it.
3) cleaning chain with degreaser and then relubing it. (Note - I use an air compressor to get the water out of the chain and get it nice and clean).
- special note: the only time the creak went away was after I cleaned the chain with degreaser and relubed it….for about 20 miles….then it was back again. I have recleaned it and relubed it maybe 4 -5 times in the past 2 weeks trying to duplicate what I had done previously. Nothing…..still creaked.
4) cleaning and re-greasing and re-tightening almost every bolt on the bike (front and rear derailleurs, chain rings, crank bolt, stem bolt).
5) cleaning front and rear skewers and relubing and tightening the hell out of them (I have Rolf vector Pro wheels and the skewers are known for creaking if they are loose.)
6) adjusting rear and front derailleurs and relubing every bolt on both.
7) greasing seatpost and re-tightening the bolt
8) greasing seat rails
9) removed the screw from the cable retainer from the bottom bracket part of the frame (I thought maybe the bottom bracket was pushed up against it? But it wasn’t )
10) tightened cassette
11) checked to make sure no chain rub on front derailleur.

hmmm, maybe I should put what I haven’t done….

1) Have not taken apart the steering column. (Park tools described the process and it looked like I needed to spend a small fortune to take mine apart and regrease it)
2) Have not taken off the cassette (Is there another way to take off the cassette without a chainwhip? I’ve got the splined socket tool for removing it but I don’t have a chain whip and it’s a pain to drive the nearest bike shop 1 hour away on a good day with no traffic…)
3) tried another wheel. I have Rolf vector pros and you cant get into them to rebuild from what I’ve read about them. But I don’t hear it when coasting so I don’t think its that.)

So my questions….
1) What am I forgetting?
2) Is there anything else do I can check that I don’t have to go buy tools for?
3) Can I take my cassette off with just the socket and maybe an old chain?
4) should I try a new chain? This chain looks new and no rust on it and isnt stretched. One thing I have noticed when examining my old chain the pins that go through the links are all the same except for two of them instead of the dimpled flat silver part, I can see a black dot that I guess is the end of one of the pins? But why are they different? Is this a master link? The chain is dura-ace from the same group as my components listed above.

Im a newb at all of this and Im sorry for the length but I wanted to give the whole picture to get good advice. Thx in advance.

I love this bike but this is getting old……..HELP!