genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
For me:

If there's a bike lane, I'll generally ride it, otherwise:

Exceptions however include BL next to parked cars... and BL on approaches to freeway on and off ramps... I generally move out of the BL and take the lane in those cases. I tend to ride just to either side of the BL stripe... IE not next to the curb. I do this to be more visible at intersections. I ride out of the BL on quiet roads and on approach to intersectons/driveways and at stoplights. I move back in as other traffic approaches.

- 1 inbound/1 outbound lane: I tend to take the lane... only one lane... and unless it is a WOL... I don't readily share. I do move over when and where I can to allow other traffic to pass.

- 2 inbound/2 outbound lanes or more; road posted at or under 50 MPH: I take the right lane unless it is a WOL... then I ride as far to the right as practical.

- Over 50 MPH I tend to try to avoid... but I treat them no different than a slower street.

- 3 or more lanes either way... with parked cars... I take the rightmost lane... motorists have two others to play in. I don't expect them to argue. (but they do)

Generally in San Diego, WOL have bike lanes... or rather any road that would be a WOL, is a road that has a bike lane and generally no parking along that road.

- I use lighting whenever I'll be riding in the dark, sometimes complemented with a bicycle safety vest and reflective ankle rings. I wear a helmet.

- I ride the left line of RTOLs if there is a shoulder to be had once past the end of the RTOL, otherwise I take the right lane left of the RTOL.

- At intersections, I take the lane if there is no shoulder. When traffic has stopped, I don't tend to filter... but I do filter at a couple of locations typically because I am taking advantage of being a bike and I don't want to wait for long traffic delays while in the middle of a bunch of cars.

For left hand turns, I move over as soon as practicable and safe to do so, slowing down, if necessary, to get the timing right. Timing is everything... I tend to time approaches to any light such that I can just keep rolling.

- I usually use hand signals... Always when changing lateral position. Never when just making a right turn from the right side of the road.

- I always obey lights... and usually stop signs... however some neighborhood stop signs are just a bit ridiculous and if I can see any and all potential traffic for a long way... those I treat as yields.

- Always attempt to be predictable and visible.

- Use common sense upon exception.