View Single Post
Old 09-22-06, 03:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
First, I'll say the Rolfs seem to be pretty popular in this group. Reasonably durable considering the weight.

Second, why do you want lighter wheels? How much is one pound savings going to help with a 300 lb team plus a 35 lb. bike? I'd stick with your more durable wheel and spend that money on a solo fixie bike or something.
Will agree about the lightweight wheels being not required. What you want on a Tandem is strength and that does not come light. However- If you want to get some quality wheels- Go to a Wheelbuilder and see what he can recommend. I am not a lover of a lot of the So Called quality "Off the peg" wheels. They may have a name but but the bit of quality some of them have- comes at an expensive price for what they are.

I ride an offroad Tandem with 26" wheels. There is no way that I could even contemplate going to a light weight wheel- even for road use. Go for a quality hub and if you Go to a wheel builder- think in terms of a "Freeride" rim as we would call it offroad. On a 26" wheel we could get away with 36 spokes but I would look at 40 both front and rear on a 700 wheel.

For comparison- I Use Hope Bigun hubs, 36 spoke on a full downhill quality rim. Theses are not light in any way but in 3 years and 5,000 miles they have not let our 400lbs all up weight down- even at 50mph+ on offroad descents. Put them in for service this year and One of the rear bearings had gone so I replaced all 3- The rear wheel was out of true but the front only needed a spoke retension. That back wheel seems to take the punishment.

Edit- before you say it- I am the stoker and I am the lightweight half of the team

Spike Milligan