View Single Post
Old 09-22-06, 03:36 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
My approach is fairly simple. This is what I do on streets where the speed limit is no more than 30-35 MPH

My first rule is I assume every car I encounter may try to kill me. So I always try to be aware of each car approaching me and I make a contingency plan for avoiding cars that, for example, may left hook me, right hook me, run lights, stop signs etc. This means that I ignore traffic control devices at intersections. Even if I have the green or the right of way, I assume that cross traffic at the intersection will not stop,even though they have the red or the stop. This doesn't mean that I will stop to let them go by, but I always am aware they may run the light and I leave myself a way out.

My second rule is always take the lane and only move over when a car approaches from the back and its safe to let them by. I try to ride on streets where the speed limit is no more than 30 MPH, so that I am traveling at close to the speed of cars. If there is one lane in my direction, unless its really wide, I take the center of the lane, but I move over to let traffic by when there is no oncoming traffic. If there are 2 or more lanes in my direction, I take the lane. At intersections, I take the lane well before I get to it.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1