Old 08-31-03, 07:37 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I was looking for this thread...I had forgetten where I had posted it...i was looking in training and nutrition to no avail...

Originally posted by caloso
Interesting. I seem to recall having to swim 1000m during my lifesaving qualification. I remember that our instructor had us do 1000m just to warm up before learning all the moves and drills.

Anyway, I'd recommend adding 50 m (that's just 2 lengths in a 25m pool) every swim workout until you can do 1000 comfortably. Then, repeat until you get to 1500.

Make sure you work on bilateral breathing and sighting every 10 strokes or so (no lane lines in a lake or the ocean!).
I'm just a humble pool lifeguard here...also, the certifications change depending on the company doing the certifying.

I have not worked for the past week, and this has kinda screwed up my swimming. I did notice that if I did not skip days I felt better the next, and I felt i could swim longer. anyone notice this?

you know, that total immersion swimming thing might hold some water. One of my co-workers is a very fast swimmer, and she is also very graceful in the water, looking more like she is gliding as opposed to pulling herself through the water.

she is like 5'9" and about 130. I know that boats are limited by their ratio of width to length...would this apply to a swimmer too? just wondering here.

I suppose that is what the TI thing is trying to teach, having a smooth type of gliding thing going on.