View Single Post
Old 09-24-06, 07:28 AM
cedrik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seized Crank/spindle bolt

This problem is starting to really annoy me (and I'm being polite )

A while ago I noticed my crank arm starting to wobble (the left side, i.e. non-chain ring side). I initially thought it was a loose bolt so tightened it, over the next few months it persistantly came back, sometimes the bolt was loose and others it wasn't but each time I was able to undo it and tighten it again.

I then noticed that the wobble was side to side as well as back to front so took the crank off and saw that the square hole was on it's way to becomming round... I replaced it and made a note to get a new one.

Now, with a new crank arm I could finally replace the old one.

Could I remove the old one? Could I hell! I ended up rounding the 8mm socket trying so ended up sawing the crank arm off. This is where I am now, with a bolt firmly stuck in the spindle. Nothing will get it loose.

I've tried penetrating oil and pouring hot water over it but to no avail. It is currently soaking in wd40 (there may be something better available in the UK?) and I am going to try the painstripper heat gun on it (seen this recommending on this forum)

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Should I just give it up, and grind the spindle down to get the bottom bracket off and replace the whole lot? This last I would rather not do.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Sam