View Single Post
Old 09-24-06, 12:20 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
First, forget the stupid "righty-tighty/leftie-loosie" technique. Learn the "right-hand rule" for threading. Similar to electro-magnetism in physics. Grab the spoke in your right palm. Orient your thumb in the direction you want to move the nipple. Point your thumb towards the hub to tighten, towards the rim to loosen. Your fingers will then aim in the direction you want to spin the nipple.

This will allow you to turn the nipple correctly if you're staring down from the rim or looking up from the hub, or looking at the wheel from the side.
Yep, this is by far the best method for any fastener. Works especially well when you are under a car and you have to loosen or tighten something in an awkward location.

The only time it ever failed me was on the bolt holding the serp belt tensioner on my Saab. I broke the bolt and was scratching my head. Learned the bolt is left hand threaded! The new one had all kinds of markings saying it was LH, the old one had no markings. On this bolt, I use the left hand rule and it works like a charm!

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1