Old 09-24-06, 05:01 PM
geeklpc1985

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atman
geeklpc, one of my most common 'cargos' is my wife. Can't carry her in a Burley Nomad. :-) I've loaded a full shopping cart of groceries with wife in tow, I've carried shop vacs, and I can go anywhere in the city with my tabla, djembe, and fire spinning gear. Heck, last weekend, I picked up a date to go to my wife's show, then put my wife on the back, dropped off the date and went home. Helps that my city is kinda flat, but I can do a couple miles with two smaller folk on the back. Xtracycles are fantastic...oh, and I don't even have Wideloaders, which up the capacity substantially.

I haven't had my Xtracycle through the winter, but I do know that I'd rather have brakes on all my wheels in the wintertime than be pushed around by a cargo trailer, which sounds like a recipe for jacknifing in low-traction conditions. I have nothing against cargo trailers, I just don't know of anything anyone actually does with one that an Xtracycle can't do, and trailers can't carry cute girls around, or much of anyone else out of elementary school. The notion that you would be giving up cargo capacity is simply misplaced.
With the burly cargo rack, you can whole a full figured girl without a problem. I have never jackknifed my bike while riding. Trying to back the bike and trailer yes. Still working on that. With disk brakes and a fully loaded bike and trailer no stopping problems, but I have studded tires in the winter time.