Old 09-25-06, 07:34 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
Oh, and P.S. yes the lane markings on the bike path are obeyed. This is a BIKE path. Also known as a bikeway. As you can see there are street signs indicating destinations and milages. The purpose of this bikeway is to move bike traffic. Therefore, following the norm in the US, you ride in the right lane.

It was a quiet day on the bike path. I only saw a few walkers, and most of them did not walk on the bikeway. It is not a recreational facility. Its primary purpose is as a highway for bicycle traffic going to UCSB, but as you can see, there are other connecting bikeways and I was able to get all the way from my house to the shopping center using these bikeways and residential streets, making for a very pleasant, enjoyable and SAFE utilitarian ride.
Whats the average car traffic speed (not the speed limit) on the roads with bike paths? Looks to me like its safe ride exclusively on the bike paths, except at intersections, where I would take the lane or move to the left of the lane to let right-turning cars go by.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1