View Single Post
Old 09-25-06, 02:01 PM
duhhuh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Eight years ago my marriage ended. Seven and a half years ago my dog died. Seven years ago my business collapsed. Six and a half years ago, my business partner of ten years decided to move on. Five years ago my material "wealth" came to an end, trying to meet expenses. No more retirement fund, no investments, no savings, no nothing. Five years ago, a relationship that began after my divorce and proved to be deeper, more loving, and more everything than my marriage ever was also ended. For the next three or four years I treaded water.

Finally I discovered photography, and a year later, cycling.

I get the same thing from both avocations: a glimpse at what joy feels like. It's fleeting, but it's addictive. I'm not Ansel Adams, nor am I ever going to be mistaken for an athlete, but I can take a pretty good picture and I can ride to my heart's content.

Along the way, I've been forced to really examine my values around abundance, prosperity, success, and all of that. And while I still yearn for this and that, I have learned to appreciate and treasure what I DO have -- pretty good health, a great environment in which to live, a laugh now and then, a number of achievements of which I'm quite proud, and two incredible daughters.

I plan to take pictures until the very end. I plan to ride my bike just about as long, God willing. The rest will sort itself out, one way or another.

This thread was quite powerful for me to read. I want to acknowledge and appreciate all who have responded.
You know what Gary? From my viewpoint, I see you have found success in life. Success is not measured in dollars or possessions or accumulation of things, but what a person has become and how they relate to others. Maybe a true measure is how they make other's lives better.