View Single Post
Old 09-27-06, 12:41 AM
foggydew
Life is simply timing...

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the lower mainland of British Columbia but it seems like the options for multi-day tours is limited for a number of reasons -- the ocean and 2 million people to the west, the mountains to the north, the US border to the south (although in the past I have done many tours into Washington, the hastles of crossing the border since 2001 make it less desirable), and the narrow Fraser Valley to the east.

I grew up in the Red Deer area in Alberta and have often wished that I was more of a cyclist when I lived there. I envy you because of there are so many opportunities for extended day trips and weekend or week long tours. Highway 22 in the foothills is a wonderful cycle which I have done from Highway 1 to the Crowsnest while on a 3 week tour in the 90's. We also passed through Waterton National Park which has already been mentioned. Waterton is my favourite of the Rcoky Mountain national parks - its quieter and less developed than Banff or Jasper. Having said that the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff is fantastic with lots of hostels for overnight stays.

I have always wanted to cycle out to Oyen on the Saskatchewan border and then south to Medicine Hat. There aren't a lot of towns so you would have to stock up with supplies. The Hand Hills between Hanna and Drumheller are another great location (I lived in Delia for 2 1/2 years) - I think there is a camp site up there. The Cypress Hills would be another great destination and you could go west to Writing on Stone Provincial Park which is also beautiful.

I grew up in near Bentley where you could head west from there into the Medicine Hills and then North through Rimbey, Blufton, Breton, Drayton Valley, go west on Highway 16 and then north on Highway 32 to Whitecourt and beyond to Lesser Slave Lake. You could then loop back down to Athabasca, Elk Island National Park east of Edmonton. And how about the old Forestry Trunk Road - is it paved from Hinton to Grand Prairie now? - that would be another nice trip. I will stop...so many dreams and so little time!!