View Single Post
Old 09-28-06, 08:21 PM
Miller2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smoke
hip, i thought what he had was a degenerative condition. which makes me think that scraping and smoothing wouldn't fix the problem; the ball of the femur will continue to atrophy. obviously i'm messing this up, so where is my mistake?

btw, i've been in milwaukee 5-6 times this year on business, and i've seen nothing but rain. you really wanna loosen up that hip, get outa there

smoke

Landis had "avascular necrosis" which is a reduction, or loss of, blood flow to the hip. This was a result of trauma to the hip. Actually he broke it. As a result of reduced blood flow, the bone in the joint was unable to regenerate.
Avascular necrosis has several causes. Loss of blood supply to the bone can be caused by an injury (trauma-related avascular necrosis or joint dislocation) or by certain risk factors (nontraumatic avascular necrosis), such as some medications (steroids), blood coagulation disorders, or excessive alcohol use. Increased pressure within the bone also is associated with avascular necrosis. The pressure within the bone causes the blood vessels to narrow, making it hard for the vessels to deliver enough blood to the bone cells.