View Single Post
Old 09-30-06, 08:25 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Both would work equally well, and I would favour the bona fide touring bike. Why?

– Both are likely to accept 700x35-37 tires. Wide tires are the most important piece of equipment you'll need if you ride on forestry roads. And for long stretches on asphalt, you could switch to narrower tires if you prefer. Hint: get 700x35 slicks.

– The touring bike has a longer base and is much less likely to have a carbon fork. That way, you'll have a more stable bike, especially when loaded, and you'll be able to install a front lowrider rack. Fore and aft weight distribution makes a much better ride than load on the rear end only. And the less nervous handling you'll get with a relaxed geometry is somethng you will appreciate at the end of a long day.

– Many cyclocross bikes are designed with very high competitive gearing. Think of a "low" of 34/26. The Trek and Cannondale touring bikes have a low of 30/34, and many of us think it would have been better with a low of 24/34. Low gears mean much less walking up hills and much less climbing them out of the saddle.

– If you want a real touring bike that's also perfectly suited for off-road experiences, look here.

– Regarding load: I would love to travel with only 60 lb of gear. It is when I tour with both children that I realise how much stuff they need to be warm and comfortable at all times.

– Regarding panniers: weight is not as important on the bike as it is when walking, because it is the bike that carries the weight and you just need to move it forward. It's much more important to have them with a frame and in a fabric that's rigid enough to prevent swaying.