Old 10-03-06, 07:03 AM
McDave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bike2math
Funny, the bow hunters on Versus (OLN) are always on the ground shooting. I've seen them lose an arrow and not find where it landed.
I haven't seen the program you're referring to but bow hunters usually do set their stands in trees. I would hope the Davenport hunters would be required to for safety's sake. I would also hope the hunters on Versus are hunting private land where they can be sure there is no one else downwind of their arrows.

I think you may mean it is safe if you are hunting. Is it really safe to be a non-hunter in an area where hunting is taking place?
No it isn't, but the article said the hunters can't hunt in populated areas.

If it is why do: (A) farmers post land where they have cattle, (B) dog owners drape their animals in flourescent jackets, (C) walkers on main roads where bright colors.
Paraniod?
(Re:A) If all the cattle ranchers in Texas posted their land there would hardly be any hunting as most all of Texas is private land with cattle on it. Even though we shoot rifles here it's not a problem. Deer don't look anything like cows, and if they happen to be mingling together you simply don't take the shot.

(Re:B) Are you referring to bird hunters? It makes sense to me as the dogs are used to flush the birds. Nobody wants to shoot their dogs accidentally.

(Re:C) I would imagine it would be to be seen by cars. Can't say I've ever seen a hunter on a main road. Not much game there. If you do see hunters on the road or even near it they should be reported.

The truth is the safest place to be during hunting season is on the butt end of a gun.
Actually not. Chances are the hunter is more likely to be injured or killed when a gun malfunctions, falls out of a tree stand, or yes, gets shot by another hunter. Accidents do happen. Hunter safety courses, as is the requirement in Davenport, really do help. Even then, the odds of an accident to either the hunter or non-hunter are very very low. Much much lower than you being injured on your bike. The city wouldn't take the risk otherwise.

I shouldn't have to wear body armour to go biking. and certainly I should be warned if it is recommended that I have such protection.
Jeeze, your imagination is really running wild here.

The things I've learned by biking: Never , ever, ever assume that the other person is (A) aware of your presence, (B) competent to handle their equipment, (C) sufficiently trained in safety and emergency procedures, (D) having your saftey first in mind, (E) Willing to stop and help you should their actions cause you harm.

Despite your assurance I want to be further away from a bow hunter than the arrow can travel. I'm just funny that way.
And I'm sure the hunt will be designed so that the twain shall never meet. Relax. Let the hunters thin the herd before it becomes overpopulated, unhealthy and disease ridden. Then the chances of you hitting a deer on your bike will be reduced.

Last edited by McDave; 10-03-06 at 07:14 AM.