Old 10-03-06, 02:15 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
what am i doing wrong? sorta long question on drivetrAIN

ok, i'm building this bicycle, and i'm mix-n-matching some parts, but all my research tells me that everything should be compatible. but, it's not. here's what the drivetrain looks like:

-ultegra 8spd barcons
-deore front derailleur (the one that can be set up for either top or bottom pull, with a 48t max chainring)
-XD's with 48/36/26 rings, 118mm bb spindle
-deore LX low-normal rear derailleur.
-HG70 11-30 cassette
ok, first thing i found out is that, despite rumors to the contrary, low-normals and ibarcons on index arent really compatible. at least, they don't seem to be. they work, but they dont work properly. friction has worked out ok, though.

the *real* problem is with shifting the front. the left barcon doesnt seem to have enough travel to swing the front derailluer sufficiently for 3 gear changes. i've been able to set it up to shift as a double, on either the inside or the outside, but it isnt working for all 3, whch is curious, b/c it's s'posed to be triple compatible.

comparing the travel of the left(front) shifter to the right(rear) shifter, it seems like the front one doesn't wanna go down (which'd correspond to the inner ring) as much as the right one. is there some sort of lockout i've missed? is this comparitively limited amount of travel normally sufficient for changing into all 3 front gears?

this forum has been a tremendous help to me in the past. any further help would be greatly appreciated. fwiw, i'm just now returning to the geared world after a 4 year fixed-only hiatus, and i hadn't a clue about anything back in my geared days, so much of this is new to me.

-rob