Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 10-04-06, 10:30 AM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neoprene isn't waterproof. The cells in the rubber hold water next to your body and prevents it from moving so your heat transfer is less than it would be on bare skin so there's no filtering per se, at least not at a rate that's noticeable. If you do any cold water diving, you pour hot water on your neoprene first in order to warm it up before you get into it. Diving in cold water in a dry wetsuit is a bad idea.

Some neoprene boots are coated, I think. Mine arent'. I wear neoprene socks in my sandals in the winter with another neoprene boot overtop if it's really chilly willy. I may have a nylon pair of covers kicking around which are only really good for blocking the wind and slush goo. You'll still need something to keep your piggies warm.

Similar on riding up Mt. Pleasant. You can get some creepy fast traffic. If you want an uninterrupted ascent, Poplar Plains road is a better option. You can go across Roxborough without too much trouble from Rosedale and pick it up at Dupont and Forest Hill is right there pretty much. Or come up Rosedale Valley Road, cross Yonge at Belmont and hit onto Davenport. There's bike lanes most of the way if memory serves.

A dry suit does indeed keep you dry, a wetsuit not.