Old 10-05-06, 04:59 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an opinon, now online:

All shift systems on all commercially produced groupsets nowadays work well enough to race, so you can't legitimately use that to make your decision. I've seen pictures of pros riding bikes with Ultegra and Chorus parts, so it really isn't an issue. Do you think you could beat a young Eddy Merckx riding his 5-speed friction shifting Molteni by being on a carbon wonderbike anyway? If so you are either wrong or should be riding the tour.

So, some tips:
- Don't buy the Sram stuff. It looks ugly, is priced really low to OEMs then over priced to end users to make the bikes it's fitted with look good value, which isn't cool, plus I think the finish and quality isn't great
- Buy Dura Ace if you want 'top of the line' but do have a budget. Finish is pretty good and lasts OK.
- Buy Record if you want the 'best', like the idea of having something that will last a long time and don't have a budget. You can see from all the vintage bike threads that the old Campag stuff often looks as good as the day it was new. Buy Centaur if you do have a budget.

My vote is for Campag because
a) it's lighter
b) you can economically replace parts and/or upgrade, e.g. from 9 to 10 speed since all the bits are rebuildable. I am still running 2000 10 speed Record on my race bike after replacing wear parts such as Ergopower springs, a small part in the derailleur, jockey wheels, chain, sprockets, rings. With Shimano I would have been in for at least one set of new shifters and derailleurs already, been stuck in 9 speed, plus I'm confident some other bits would have worn out as well.
c) Although the shifting is less ergonomic in that you sometimes have to move your thumb, braking feels more secure to me