View Single Post
Old 10-05-06, 04:36 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToasterLocker
I want to get some clipless pedals for my commuter (Kona Jake the Snake, 2003) but I really don't have any idea what to get as I haven't used clipless before. My commutes are long and uninterrupted enough that I pretty much have no reason to stick with the platforms, so I want to upgrade.

I know a bunch of guys that swear by crank brothers eggbeaters for everything. What do you guys prefer? Why?
I prefer combined clipless/platform SPD pedals, for the ultimate in versatility. I can run out of work and do an errand while wearing street shoes or dress shoes, while at the same time using clipless shoes for my commute to and from work. Also, having the platform under the SPD cleat makes it more comfortable under my foot.

Nashbar has the Rodeo pedals for about $25 (what I use), Performance has the Campus pedals for about $35 (they are clearly of a higher quality and sleeker appearance, especially the bearings), and Shimano makes the original version for about $75 (seems similar to the Performance pedals, just more expensive ).

Before these pedals, I used double-sided SPD pedals, which worked great except for not being able to use street shoes. I've also used Look pedals, which I would not recommend for commuting since they're a pain to clip in and out of and you can't walk with the big cleats. I know there are a lot of Eggbeater fans on here, but I don't really get what advantage they offer on the road: mud-shedding isn't on the top of my priority list for road use. SPD and SPD-knockoff pedals are very widely available, come in many different configurations, and they're inexpensive.

Originally Posted by Brian Sorrell
I recently got the Shimano M324 SPDs -- platform on one side and clipless on the other. They're great so far. I have them adjusted so that it's really easy to click out, and I have the recessed cleat shoes that I wear all day at work. They're actually quite comfy, and it adds to my coolness factor at work because I have the only shoes with reflectors
I wear my reflective Adidas Minrett shoes all day too