View Single Post
Old 10-06-06, 12:50 PM
ornmnt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knee pain - help with bike setup, etc?

Hey all. I occasionally have some pain in one of my knees after cycling. I'm trying to figure out what the cause is, and whether adjusting the configuration of my bike might help. It's really hard for me to try to describe and localize the pain, but it seems sort of like it's almost UNDER the knee cap, maybe a bit on the outside of the knee (i.e. on the right knee, the right side). I usually don't feel it after riding, but rather will wake up one morning and have knee pain and then take a couple days off. I don't know if that description sounds crazy or not, but it's the best I can do right now because I relaxed a couple days, and now the pain seems to have gone away.

A little background and a theory: I was in a motorcycle crash about two years ago and injured my left knee a bit (mostly something with the ACL, I think, but there was no surgery, just physical therapy). The pain I've been experiencing is usually in my RIGHT, or "good" knee. I'm wondering if maybe I'm subconsciously compensating for my "bad" knee by over-using my good one. I don't know, just a thought.

Mainly, I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions, or links you could direct me to. Also, I have a feeling my bike configuration might not be perfect. Could these symptoms point to anything, such as seat height, etc? In case it matters, I'm using pedals with cages.