View Single Post
Old 10-10-06, 09:30 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Well, I'm not thinking so much about the method of transportation used to get to the start of your tour, and the method of transportation used to get back home again after your tour ... I'm thinking more of the methods of transportation used during your tour.
I have never driven a car in my life, but I have, on occasion, used buses, trains, ferries and even a taxi (once) for that. Last time I checked, that fact alone doesn't prevent it from being a bicycle tour. Looking at the journals over at crazyguyonabike.com (including the three of mine that were "featured"), I'd say I'm not the only one who feels that way. I think as long as the bicycle is the main way of seeing your destination, then it's a bicycle tour.

Originally Posted by Machka
I have actually encountered a few cycle-tourists who do feel guilty if they do any part of their tours with any methods of transportation other than a bicycle.
I wouldn't say "guilty" so much as "frustrated". Due to time constrains I used a bus between Nelson and Christchurch in New Zealand back in March. It did it's job (i.e. getting me back to Christchurch for the next day's flight home), but all I could really think of during that bus ride was how much I would have loved to have ridden that stretch. I had a similar feeling when I got a bus from Mt Gambier to Adelaide in 2002.

That is all.