Old 10-11-06, 12:40 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Put on new componetry on Surly or buy new toruing bike.

A CD savings account recently matured. I ask myself , at this stage of life do I deserve a brand new shiny touring bike or should I put new components on a renovated Surly Cross Check frame.
About a year ago, I put most of the components from a well, worn out Scott road bike onto a new Surly Cross check frame. THe bike frame had to have over 100,000 miles on it. It was worn out.
I like my Cross CHeck, but the components are in need of being replaced. The Surly Cross check is a strong frame.
My wife had a teaching opportunity in Europe, so we are here for a few years. I might do some really long tours while here, like ride to Moscow, Lebanon or something extreme. Well, at least across Hungary and the Czech Republic. Maybe more. Got tired of US rat race jobs, so enjoying life for awhile.
Its been like 4 1/2 years since I bought a spanking, shiny brand new ( totally new bike.) THis could be my early retirement gift to myself. All those years of slavery, I tell myself I deserve the touring bike of my dreams. Would you update the almost worn out components on the Surly or buy a new touring bike.
Guess, to update my Surly would cost $500-600 with new heavy rims while my new tourer bike would probably be over $2000. ANyone completed any long tours on a Surly Cross Check. .
After I treat my wife to a trip of a boat trip on the Nile and the Red Sea, my gift to myself is my tourer.
Think a Surly be a fit bike for long distance touring. .

Last edited by cyclezealot; 10-11-06 at 02:39 AM.