View Single Post
Old 10-11-06, 12:39 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Then I thought I would get rid of the flat bars. Even with bar extensions, my wrists always feel sore after more than 10 minutes on the bike. So I pulled them off and slid in an old set of SR drops. I'd heard that you couldn't fit road drops into a mtb stem, but these fit.
You've heard this because people who make a distinction between "road" and "mountain" stems based on clamp diameter don't know what they're talking about. The ISO standard clamp diameter for all handlebars and stems is 25.4mm. 26.0mm, which is sometimes (incorrectly) referred to as "road" clamp diameter is simply the Italian dimension. Back in the day, most high-end handlebars and stems available on the aftermarket were Italian. Anyone trying to compete in this market would also use this standard. Fortunately, this didn't carry over into MTBs when they became popular, so 26mm MTB bars are rare indeed, but 26mm remains the standard for high-quality road bars and stems. The confusion remains as well. The reason those SR drops fit is because they're older and Japanese - almost all Japanese manufacturers of stems and handlebars used the ISO standard back in the 80's. I don't know if this is still the case, but Nitto now sells most of its nicer road bars in 26.0.

Anyway, sorry for the digression! That's an awesome bike, caloso - looks like a real tank.