Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hackybiker
I did a short ride (~8 mi) this morning to run some errands. A few roads were a bit rough. When I got home, I saw that my rear tire was rubbing the chainstay on the left side. Even though the quick release felt tight, the wheel had somehow slipped.

I noticed that the wheel sits pretty far foward, and I'm wondering if it may sit more snugly in the dropouts if it was further in the recesses. I have an old style derailleur that also sits in the dropout, held there by a nut. Should I move both the RD and wheel back, to avoid the slippage from happening again?

Attached are pics of right and left side: notice how much space there is in the dropouts.
The derailer's adaptor claw has been slipping forward in the dropout. The adaptor claw should be all the way back in the slot.

Remove the wheel, then loosen the bolt that holds the adaptor claw and slide the adaptor claw as far back as it will go, then re-tighen the adaptor claw bolt. (Might be a good idea to lube the threads of the bolt if they aren't already lubed.)

Re-install the wheel, making sure the skewer is nice and snug.

Sometimes, the rear axle protrudes too far from the locknuts and the skewer may be tigthening against the end of the axle. The easy way to check this is to remove the conical springs from the skewer and see if that makes it hold better. (Those springs are not essential, just helpful for rapid wheel changes because they keep the skewer centered when it's not in the frame.)

Sheldon "Lube All Threads" Brown
Code:
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
|   The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects   |
|   is that science requires reasoning while those other    |
|   subjects merely require scholarship.                    |
|                                    --Robert A. Heinlein   |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+