Old 10-12-06, 03:41 PM
Darold

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Silhouette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maximusvt
I really don't understand why some people are so dogmatic about this question. Do you guys all determine your own ethics solely on the basis of whether or not something is legal?

Obviously what he is suggesting doing is illegal, that wasn't the question. Running stop signs is illegal. Jaywalking is illegal. But I don't loose sleep over it. He asked if it was ethical.
I agree somewhat. In this case, I would tend to think that tstealing is both illegal AND unethical. If attempts to contact the current owners fail, and police clear it, then it becomes both ethical and legal to take the bikes. I know you have a good ends, but it may not justify the means.

On a different note, if you choose to live in a state not a state as in one of the 50...), and benifit from its existence, then you should either choose to live by those laws or breaks them in a peacefull act of defiance AND suffer the associated punishments. Poor wording I am sure, but Socrates covered this one pretty well, and I am inclined to agree with the principles.