garth
garth

Bikes: 3Rensho, Team Raliegh, Colnago Arabesque, Bianchi, Lemond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear triangle alignment on steel lugged frame

This one has me puzzled. If I check the alignment on my mid 80's Bianchi road bike (Columbus tubing), I believe the headtube seems to visually align with the seat tube. When I tie a tight string from rear dropout to headtube to rear dropout, the distance from the string to the seat tube is exactly the same on either side. When I remove the rear wheel and bolt a bolt to one rear dropout and then to the other, the tips of the bolts seem to vaguely line up. ( I say vaguely because I don't have the real tool for this, but I still feel that it's close in alignment.) The rear wheel slides in and out nicely because the dropouts are parralell and properly spaced for a six speed. I have finetuned the dish and true on the rear wheel to my complete satisfaction, and the dropout screws are finetuned so that rear wheel aims toward the center of the bb. The hole for the rear brake on the rear brake bridge also seems to be in the middle of the bridge.

Now when the rear wheel sits in the dropouts it appears to be crooked in relation to the rear brake bridge. The rear tire does not sight down the center of the brake bolt but instead seems to be well to one side. What's up?

Garth in Miami