View Single Post
Old 10-17-06, 10:28 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always used panniers, but I recently bought a Bob. I'm going to test it versus the panniers and see what I think. In my initial test ride I could definitely feel it back there (even though it was empty.) It's no lightweight. It didn't affect the handling at all though. I wouldn't have even known it was there except for pulling the weight uphill. Maybe that would change if it was loaded up.

The reason I'm interested at all is because I had a tour spoiled by broken spokes. I'm a big guy and I was carrying a lot of weight. With the trailer, the weight would be divided between the rear wheel and the Bob's wheel. It would be wonderful not to have to worry so much about breaking spokes.

Having said all that, I also have to say that before my last tour I went to the local bike shop and told the guy to "build me a wheel that won't break spokes." I spent quite a bit of money and the guy assembled what he thought would be a bombproof wheel. I took my tour and, sure enough, no broken spokes.

So now I'm still unsure. Maybe a properly built wheel won't break spokes, even on a long tour with a big load. Or maybe my last tour (which was only 12 days) wasn't long enough and the spokes would still break on a longer tour, so I need the Bob.

I'm going to start by trying out the Bob on a real tour and seeing if I like it.