garth
garth

Bikes: 3Rensho, Team Raliegh, Colnago Arabesque, Bianchi, Lemond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bent stuff and it worked

Rather than have the left seatstay unbrazed and rebrazed in a spot 1/8 inch further down, I bent stuff and it worked. First I ran the string from one drop out to the other and around the headtube and got base line measurements. Then I angled the left dropout out at the bottom and the right in at the bottom to get the tire to center at the top under the brake bolt. Then of course, the problem was that the dropouts no longer measured 126 mm and the stays needed a little bending to keep everything centered. Back and forth, nudging, niggling, wiggling and then a final bit of all that to get the dropouts to be close to parralell and I got it all reasonably close. (It took a half hour). I measured and remeasured everything and mounted the wheel and saw that I had overcorrected a smidge. Rather than start all over again I went for an hour ride. The handling was no longer skiterish, the bike didn't have that annoying constant lean thing going on when travelling straight. Funny thing is that I rode the bike 4 times without noticing the problem as any one particular thing but after I isolated it, I could feel nothing else but the problem. Now I can't detect any problem other than I'm a bit pissed off that the Italian factory brazed one seatstay an 1/8 inch lower than the other. Was someone drunk 20 years ago? This is an outrage. Where was the quality control guy when this mostly Campy bike rolled off the assembly line for paint?