Old 10-19-06, 03:01 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Bluesdawg.
On those rims: there are definitely 36 spokes on the old Arayas off the 830. It looks like they didn't skrimp on those. The wheels off the 930 are Front: Matrix 32 spoke (very narrow walls almost like a 700c rim), and Rear: Sunrims RYNOLITE made in USA with 32 spokes. Like I said, a mis-match.

Question: Since the Arayas have been indestructible, I can have a new rear hub laced-in to fit the wider spacing on the 930 frame. Right? I would also go with a 7spd Mega-Range 11-34 cassette at that point.

What hub would you recommend?
Any recent Shimano?
Do they even make 36 hole hubs anymore?
What hubs do you have on your 970?

I'll go over to Lord Sheldon of Brown's site and look at hubs...

Ok, with a 7spd I'll have to stay with the original Altus A-10 stuff. Never heard of it, but it works pretty good.
The question here is: Can I split the setup and use my old friction shifter/Deore FD for the Sakae OvalTeck front, while using the Altus for the 7spd rear? Seems plausible since one has nothing to do with the other.

Dang! That forces a change in the front brake lever, since the levers are integral with the shifters. This thing could end up being a true Frankenbike. I'd have to put my old Shimano 830 lever on the left with the 930 Altus lever/shifter on the right. Good grief! Next it'll be ribbons in the spokes and a parrot on the bars... Stay tuned. I'm heading to the MTB shop for some abuse tomorrow morning