garth
garth

Bikes: 3Rensho, Team Raliegh, Colnago Arabesque, Bianchi, Lemond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dish was the 1st thing checked

I have a Park TS-6 (old style) true stand that I bought used for $20. I made my own dishing tool with cut plywood and a metal ruler to measure from wheel nuts to mark on plywood dish tool. ( I think this is about as accurate as the store bought variety and has worked for all my other wheelsets.) I still want some recompense from the Italian government for allowing this kind of sloppy construction on a short wheelbased all Columbus Bianchi, obviously intended for full out club racing. I could have eaten it big time last week, and at my age a broken bone doesn't heal as quickly as it used to. I assume that over the years these made in Taiwan aluminum, titanium and cf bikes have higher levels of quality control what with computers, robots and all. But I was able to find the problem using nothing more exotic than string, a metal rule and some home made tools. I still don't think the tool I made to check for parrallel dropouts matches the $400 Park tool but at least it gets me in the ballpark. I bought two threaded bolts that almost touch when fastened to the dropouts with washers. I look for even spacing of the bolt tips where they almost touch, just like the pro tool. Man, why can't someone make a $40 version of this tool? Does it really need to cost 10 times that?