jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
My Cal State Finals Race Report...kinda long

First of all, I'm sorry I had to split so early from the post ride lunch nor able to enjoy some of that great beer w/ you all. The drive was anout 70 minutes from Brea, too the 210 up, no traffic so was good. I got to my camping spot, set up camp and was about 4:45 before I got ready and prerode the course. The course was like NOTHING i've seen before. I'd rather race 18 miles at Big Bear for riding that course any time soon. Break down was FOUR major climbs, about 45 seconds from the start is the base of the first climb. And climbing for about 90% of the 6.8 miles. The gearing I had for the preride was TOUGH, I had to walk more sections then I would like. The course was not SS friendly. No carrying speed up the hills, it was switch back to grind to switch back and so forth. My lap times would be about 1 hr each. After the preride I told myself that's ride my full suspension w/ gears. This morning I changed my mind and threw the 20T back on the bike and hoped for the best. It was the last race, my points lock me into a good place overall so no harm trying it. The race was 6.8 miles per lap, so about 2 hours of pain here I come.

Start time was 10:45am, low 80's and no wind at the bottom. I started OK, there was 7 guys in my class, I lined up for the first hill in 7th, I attacked what I could, and the front two guys rubbed tires going into the first hard switch back and had to dismount, everyone behind them was forced to dismount. There was about 60yards between to the next switch back, so I charged what I could, getting two more spots. I clean the next turn, attacked and closed the gap. I walked the next switchback cuz it was STEEP. The 4 in front of me dismounted too. At the next step they all mounted, I was a few seconds behind them and mounted up and tried to get as much moment as I can for the next steep step up, hit it, passing one other guy, the top of the next step was too steep for me and I dismounted and ran the last 10ft or so. This secton was flat for about 100 yards before it turns left then right up another steep climb. I recovered what I can on the flat, looked back halfway down the flat and 5th was just getting back on his bike. I passed 3rd place on the next climb which rolled into another steep climb.

From here no one in my class passed me, nor could I catch the 2 guys in front of me. I tried to keep them in my sites on the next climb, but they were pulling on my and I was stuck on a hill that made Glider Point of the Chino trail look weak. This climb was about 1/3 longer but ALOT steeper and no momentum hitting this bugger. I grinded as much as I can and had to dismount and fast walk it up. The class behind us caught me and started passing slowly as I walked up. 2 climbs later before the 2nd down hill started, I can see the guys in my class (easy to spot, he was the ONLY guy wearing ALL black), so I made up some ground. And the short downhill was all I needed to get on his tire The next climb was TOUGH, I had to walk the lower part adn he pulled away again......I got back on through the middle section but the damage was done.

I was about 250yard back still climbing when I saw he hit the top. But the next section was DH, I flew down sooooooooo fast trying to get on his tire, my chain came OFF!!!!! Fix it, don't touch the brakes and hit the trail again. Flying down hitting some nasty breaking bumps then short climb FUCCCCC the chain popped off AGAIN but NOW it was stuck between the frame and the cranks. I was about to throw my bike at this point then the chain came free. YESSS I fly as fast as gravity can take me since I can't pedal on the SS downhill. I tried to only hit the brakes at the entrence of the turns and cranking a few times while brakes so my stupid chain doesn't come off. I get to the bottom of the hill and head through this boneyard section to the finish line to start my seconf lap. Lap time was 49 mins 32 seconds. I'm like GREAT PACE!!! I hit the first turn and the back end swings a bit.....look down FREEAKING the rear tire is losing air ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG.......F it I kept riding up the switch back, clean what I can and dismount on that same one. checked the tire and it was about 20psi or less. Hope back on and hammer up the step up. Take out the CO2 and put 1/2 canister in. Grinded up the next climb, put the rest of the CO2 in, Repeated this 6 times throughout the second lap. I should have just stopped and changed the tube........

Get to the end of the race w/ less then 10psi in the tire, I can feel the rim hitting the concrete as I rolled though the finish. 2 hour 1 minute. I lost about 23 minutes on that lap So the results, 3rd place, first time ever racing the singlespeed and flatted the second lap.

Here's some pics the preride and such

Gliders point at Chino was easier then this bugger

Last edited by jsigone; 10-22-06 at 11:15 PM.