View Single Post
Old 10-24-06, 06:30 AM
ampalabike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
centurion brand name in europe

I have a Centurion super elite here in Germany which I bought in 1983 or 84. It is very nice an I had it originally equipped with a Shimano 600 new gruppo. I ordered the frame separately and the fitting gruppo. The guy who sold it to me was close friends with the german importer of Centurion. If you check out www.centurion.de you will find out that the brand name lives on in Germany and has the best reputation. It is one of the bigger companies and they are selling mainly MTBs and ATBs. Somehow they are connected with Merida, I guess frames are made by the merida factory. Still there is no such thing as a Centurion factory, frames are made soemwhere in Taiwan. I have seen a lot of Centurion LeMans and alike in the early 80ies around my hometown and have checked out the bikes in this thread. A lot of models are similiar to the ones sold in Germany at the day. The frame and decals designs are exactly the same. In my opinion the german importer just went on using the brandname in Germany while the original inventor in the US skipped the name. In 1997 ther german triathlete Thomas Hellriegel won the Ironman contest in Hawaii on a centurion bike named Helldrive. The german brand tried to promote this success and launch a comeback in the US but this did not work out. I know this from a travelling sales person currently working for the brand in Germany. I will let you guys know my frame number and will post soem pictures soon.