View Single Post
Old 10-30-06, 06:52 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Researching Options for Cold Feet ...

I have done a little research on this sub-forum (I'm a regular on the Road Cycling forum and a lurker on the Mountain Bike Forum) in regard to cold feet. The IceBike.com website has a wealth of information!!

I have small, boney, narrow feet that must not have good circulation in general as my feet get cold very easily and once they begin to get cold, they quickly go numb. I've been a cyclist (mainly road) since late 80's so I have plenty of experience in terms of cycling. But, not necessarily riding in temps below 45 or so.

My LBS has the Sidi Winter Freeze road shoes in a size that works for me ... and since those are his only pair and he has had them for over 1.5yrs, he's willing to sell them to me for $120. Is it worth it? It seems like I read a few negative comments about the white rabbit fur inside the shoes when searching for reviews. The other shoes I'd like to try, but don't have any locally, is the Shimano winter road shoe as they are only $90 or so online from Chain Reaction Cycles (in the UK though).

Next thing I found and am interested in is the Heatronics Foot Warmers. Thougths on these? I assume I should either go with winter shoes OR the Foot Warmers ... but both is most likely overkill.

My current road shoes are the Specialized Pro Carbon Comps ... and I love them. But, I can only put on a single pair of DeFeet Blaze wool socks ... anything more and it is too tight which isn't good.

I will also try the chemical toe warmers that are talked about a lot on here. I've heard, though, that they aren't all created equal. And, I also heard that the older they are before they are used (shelf life) ... the shorter the time they work. Comments?

Any suggestions, recommendations, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Current setup:

2005 Specialized Comp Carbon Pro's
DeFeet Blaze Wool Socks (when it is 60 or below)
Toe/Shoe hoods
PI Booties (the warmest ones they have according to their website)

The above setup is good for me ... but only down to low 50's. Yes, my feet are COLD natured!
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200