Old 10-31-06, 06:50 AM
seans_potato_business
A potato in every bite...

Bikes: Pashley Princess Sovereign <3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I havn't got access to a torque wrench; I've been using a regular adjustable wrench and tightening about as much as I could. I'll look into those lock washers, although I'm not sure I understand the instructions. You say I should grease the outer circumference of the washer OR the smooth side of the washer? And I use two, back to back on each side (four total)?

With regard to grease - the washers need grease, the thread needs grease, and everything else should be grease-free?

This problem only started to occur after I took my bike to Halfords to have the rear tire changed (I'm not really a bike-fixing person, and though I always try to do things myself, I couldn't fathom the hub-gear changing device and didn't want to end up with a pile of peices I couldn't put back together). They used this thing where you only remove the bolt at one side, and then it stretches the frame of the bike, to create a space through which a tire can be slipped, without removing the wheel altogether. There are no washers currently on either side of the wheel, although the Halfords guy said he never touched the chain-side fo the wheel.