"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 08-10-16, 01:03 PM
  #5801  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
I wussed out on a full 15min of pain yesterday in favor of 10min @ 15min pace, then did z1/2 with tempo on climbs cuz tempo doesn't hurt much and is more interesting than picking your nose at brisk walking pace.

I'm doing 3ish hours pretty chill today with some half-assed opener type efforts. Following coach orders keeps me much fresher for weekend racing and if anything all the power markers have gone up in response to chillin, and i'm down a solid kilo. I dunno if weight loss is because my body isn't constantly in "OMG kill me" mode or if I've got a tapeworm, but either way with GMSR coming up I'm satisfied.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 01:04 PM
  #5802  
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Posts: 9,284

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^you looked quite skinny the other day, tkp.
mike868y is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 01:09 PM
  #5803  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
I hit 159 a few times this past week which hasn't happened in like 1.5 years! I really think it's because my body isn't constantly tired and in feed me everything mode, it's helping to regulate appetite I guess.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 02:15 PM
  #5804  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
70 mi yesterday including a race, that I lost.

But I helped an old team mate beat a young junior, so it was partially a success.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 11:18 PM
  #5805  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
70 mi yesterday including a race, that I lost.

But I helped an old team mate beat a young junior, so it was partially a success.
that junior might one day race on the pro tour, and that old man might then be able to brag to his grandkids, al bundy style.

ya did good.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 06:27 AM
  #5806  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,279
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin View Post
I hit 159 a few times this past week which hasn't happened in like 1.5 years! I really think it's because my body isn't constantly tired and in feed me everything mode, it's helping to regulate appetite I guess.
How tall are you? I am now down to about 159 most mornings. I'd like to drop a another percentage point or so in body fat.

When I graduated from high school, I was 155. I came back from my first semester of college nearing 190 - I said screw the Freshman 15, I want to hit the Freshman 40.

Shortly after I got married, I started lifting and riding, and I got down to 154, but I was not as thin then as I am now. My waist size was still 32-33 at 154. Now I'm heavier but I'm down to a 30-inch waist.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 07:44 AM
  #5807  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
How tall are you? I am now down to about 159 most mornings. I'd like to drop a another percentage point or so in body fat.

When I graduated from high school, I was 155. I came back from my first semester of college nearing 190 - I said screw the Freshman 15, I want to hit the Freshman 40.

Shortly after I got married, I started lifting and riding, and I got down to 154, but I was not as thin then as I am now. My waist size was still 32-33 at 154. Now I'm heavier but I'm down to a 30-inch waist.
I am 6'2"
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 11:10 AM
  #5808  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,496

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
2hrs on the trainer, seemed more palatable than the humid heat we have here today (i was wearing glasses this morning and they instantly fogged when I went out). 120 TSS average low z3
hubcyclist is online now  
Old 08-11-16, 11:36 AM
  #5809  
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin View Post
I wussed out on a full 15min of pain yesterday in favor of 10min @ 15min pace, then did z1/2 with tempo on climbs cuz tempo doesn't hurt much and is more interesting than picking your nose at brisk walking pace.

I'm doing 3ish hours pretty chill today with some half-assed opener type efforts. Following coach orders keeps me much fresher for weekend racing and if anything all the power markers have gone up in response to chillin, and i'm down a solid kilo. I dunno if weight loss is because my body isn't constantly in "OMG kill me" mode or if I've got a tapeworm, but either way with GMSR coming up I'm satisfied.
assuming you are matching calorie intake with training intensity (in other words, not overeating during hard training, which is something that is easy/common to do), then it's not unusual to drop some weight by backing off of intensity. working our bodies hard can tear them down a bit, which can cause inflammation, water retention, etc.; lighter training/recovery reduces this. also, backing off a bit in intensity can sometimes lead to better sleep.

both can lead to dropping a few lbs.

good on ya!

and to think @globecanvas said a while back you had absolutely no weight to lose!
tetonrider is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 11:53 AM
  #5810  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Like I said back then, I'm focusing on raising power before considering losing any weight because it's continuing to tick upward steadily, and I don't think raising power and losing weight play well together unless you're being monitored like a science experiment. I think you're probably right in that this loss is probably just decreased inflammation and water retention. Also I am sleeping better!

So if it's just inflammation and water weight I think gc is right
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 11:59 AM
  #5811  
Gramercy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 842

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin View Post
Like I said back then, I'm focusing on raising power before considering losing any weight because it's continuing to tick upward steadily, and I don't think raising power and losing weight play well together unless you're being monitored like a science experiment. I think you're probably right in that this loss is probably just decreased inflammation and water retention. Also I am sleeping better!

So if it's just inflammation and water weight I think gc is right
Dude you're going to be 150 tonight if you ride outside right now. Feels like 104 in North Jersey right now.
Gramercy is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 12:08 PM
  #5812  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,575

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah it has been silly out. I've seen 154 a few times lately, and that's drinking 1+ large bottle every hour. I'm weighing myself before and after rides so i know how much I need to drink to counter the water loss.

I'm bad at being a morning person and usually have some meetings before noon, otherwise i'd switch my schedule around.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 12:31 PM
  #5813  
TexMac
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monday 19 minutes 2x2 240-250 x 250-265...could not finish last 1 minute in 102 deg heat
TexMac is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 01:01 PM
  #5814  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
that junior might one day race on the pro tour, and that old man might then be able to brag to his grandkids, al bundy style.

ya did good.
Al Bundy lol.

What's funny is that when the jr attacked at about 1k out, I was too tired and had essentially given up. But then one of us said "let's go/i'll get you up to him" and we started working together, him leading me out, me leading out the third guy.

We caught said jr, but in a real race (or racing with strangers, not ex teammates) we probably would've let him go/looked at each other and he would've won.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 01:21 PM
  #5815  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,084

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 39 Posts
legs r tired. I'm taking 5 days off next week to visit Maui with my GF. She has a sister there so we'll get insider pro tips.

Anyways I've been trying to wear myself down over the past couple weeks and I've done a good job. On T I won every race and the moto warmup in the "B's" field and got myself a mandatory A's upgrade (crap), then went to Fiesta the following morning and did a couple VO2 max and 1x30' at high z4 with success. Tomorrow I'm going to head out for 2.5 hrs of the highest z2/3 I can manage, then be ready to vacay in Hawaii!!
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is online now  
Old 08-11-16, 01:25 PM
  #5816  
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am at that point of my training where all the numbers look really good, and you are just waiting for the other shoe to fall and realize you peaked a week early.

Then again, I don't think I have much to really peak for anymore. Tokeneke will be fun (If I am not crashed out in neutral this year) and while I am theoretically peaking for GMSR, lets be honest here. Doing that race as a Cat 1 by yourself is not a recipe for success.

I want the off-season to be here so I can eat so many cookies and ice cream.
dz_nuzz is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 01:31 PM
  #5817  
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Posts: 9,284

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4.5 hours with 3*8.5' vo2 hill intervals in the middle. power tanked on the third interval so i skipped the 4th. i blame the heat and the fact that i've raced three times in the past six days.
mike868y is offline  
Old 08-12-16, 08:29 AM
  #5818  
TexMac
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, 104 deg hot
Driveway Crit 3/4 - 15th
4/5 masters, flat halway..DNF
4/5 Regular - pack finish

Getting frustrated no podium yet but have the power & legs.
I feel like i need podium 4/5 then move to a 3
TexMac is offline  
Old 08-12-16, 08:34 AM
  #5819  
revchuck 
OMC
 
revchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 6,916

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
They have a Master's 4/5? Might have to make a day trip.
__________________
Regards,
Chuck

Demain, on roule!
revchuck is offline  
Old 08-12-16, 09:26 AM
  #5820  
TexMac
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
They have a Master's 4/5? Might have to make a day trip.
Oh yes, they started this season. Much safer than regular 4/5
TexMac is offline  
Old 08-12-16, 10:19 AM
  #5821  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,084

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 39 Posts
Just kicked down 48 miles with 3.5k elevation in 2:24 on 214w AP on my new road bike.

Up next: breakfast burrito, horchata, and 20 min at my desk of being a zombie before I come back to life.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is online now  
Old 08-12-16, 10:25 AM
  #5822  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,363
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac View Post
Yesterday, 104 deg hot
Driveway Crit 3/4 - 15th
4/5 masters, flat halway..DNF
4/5 Regular - pack finish

Getting frustrated no podium yet but have the power & legs.
I feel like i need podium 4/5 then move to a 3
That's a lot of racing!
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 08-12-16, 11:38 AM
  #5823  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,357

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
legs r tired. I'm taking 5 days off next week to visit Maui with my GF. She has a sister there so we'll get insider pro tips.

Anyways I've been trying to wear myself down over the past couple weeks and I've done a good job. On T I won every race and the moto warmup in the "B's" field and got myself a mandatory A's upgrade (crap), then went to Fiesta the following morning and did a couple VO2 max and 1x30' at high z4 with success. Tomorrow I'm going to head out for 2.5 hrs of the highest z2/3 I can manage, then be ready to vacay in Hawaii!!
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Just kicked down 48 miles with 3.5k elevation in 2:24 on 214w AP on my new road bike.

Up next: breakfast burrito, horchata, and 20 min at my desk of being a zombie before I come back to life.
My wife and I are moving to SD next week. Our house is located on the south side of Soledad mountain so our ride from home routes will be Fiesta, the coast, Point Loma, SD velodrome and the other usual suspects. See you on the road or track or beach.
Hermes is offline  
Old 08-12-16, 11:57 AM
  #5824  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,496

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
2hrs, 113tss on zwift, avoiding the heat/humidity. CTL is ~68 now, a high point for 2016 (although my peak ctl since getting a power meter is 73)
hubcyclist is online now  
Old 08-12-16, 12:08 PM
  #5825  
TexMac
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
That's a lot of racing!
True. In my city its juniors & women, 4/5 then 3/4 then p123

Driveway, starts with juniors & women then 3/4, 4/5 masters, p123, then 4/5 regular. Usually i'll do 4/5 and get top ten for points to move to 3 then i'll do 3/4 for fitness.

I think next race i'll just attack and solo last lap
TexMac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.