Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 01-23-17, 01:04 PM
  #7576  
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday, 5 hr ride (90miles) with a friend. Pretty good ride to wreck my legs. Might be doing this twice a month.
last week after two flats, remembered i had ridden through high water and probably not good to not dry wheels.
TexMac is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 01:14 PM
  #7577  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
my legs have been perpetually sore for like 2 months. my anaerobic has been pretty crap. I can't sustain my top end for crap. my aerobic is strangely ok. I can do long tempo rides, but shorter intervals kick my ass. I'm guessing I just need to ride more, but are there ways that would allow me to have faster recovery and adaptation?
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 01:28 PM
  #7578  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
my legs have been perpetually sore for like 2 months. my anaerobic has been pretty crap. I can't sustain my top end for crap. my aerobic is strangely ok. I can do long tempo rides, but shorter intervals kick my ass. I'm guessing I just need to ride more, but are there ways that would allow me to have faster recovery and adaptation?
sleep, protein, creatine.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 01:57 PM
  #7579  
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=furiousferret;19278567]Bandages are off but I'm still getting back spasms and lung pain, but its much better. Contemplating getting on the trainer in a few days but I can't do it when my wife is at home because she'd lose it if I don't follow her timeline.



They really didn't cover the head injury; or the shoulder (which isn't broken but bruised the point I couldn't lift my arm for a few days. Hopefully they'll check it on my follow up.

The head doesn't hurt too much, I pray there's no long term issues.


I'm going to queue up some old races, maybe read some racer bios.
Get wool soon and best wishes with recovery. I have the following books if you need/want something to pass time. ..Tyler>the secret race. CAV >At speed & Boy racer. Wigo> My time. Miller> The racer
TexMac is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 03:26 PM
  #7580  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
sleep, protein, creatine.
that's the thing,
I've been getting plenty of sleep
I've been focusing on a higher carb diet, but I don't think my protein intake is low. Not sure how many grams/day, but I eat my milk ham and green eggs, though my meat consumption has gone down from before.

I don't understand creatine. that's a preworkout.
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 03:29 PM
  #7581  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic

I don't understand creatine. that's a preworkout.
Track your protein and sleep. Read up on creatine.

from the google, but plenty of sources other than what is cited here

Ygduf is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 05:15 PM
  #7582  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Track your protein and sleep. Read up on creatine.

from the google, but plenty of sources other than what is cited here

I looked, and saw different things. it allows you to produce more ATP, and if you take a given amount, and start to taper off (eg. cycling it on and off?) it helps your body produce more ATP on its own. And as a result, you're able to fight off fatigue more, as the body is able to process lactate faster. on the other hand, it makes you gain water weight, which isn't ideal, so I guess it may find a favorable place in crits over road races. none of these really address recovery though.
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 05:20 PM
  #7583  
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,476

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Anyone do the double peaking thing? So peak April just tool around summer and peak Aug?

Half the time junior peaks in April - he gets too lean and sick. So maybe trying a winter weight approach and not really a peak this April, then hitting it hard in July. The "value" of being in a cold area is he's just not training as hard now as he usually would in SoCal.
Doge is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 05:23 PM
  #7584  
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,865

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yes: peak 1, early May; peak 2, Labor Day.
caloso is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 06:12 PM
  #7585  
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I looked, and saw different things. it allows you to produce more ATP, and if you take a given amount, and start to taper off (eg. cycling it on and off?) it helps your body produce more ATP on its own. And as a result, you're able to fight off fatigue more, as the body is able to process lactate faster. on the other hand, it makes you gain water weight, which isn't ideal, so I guess it may find a favorable place in crits over road races. none of these really address recovery though.
The words are right there. Reduces inflammation and muscle damage from low-resistance exercise.

there's more: Creatine and Distance Running

and .5-2kg of water in your muscles is literally no big deal. Your race isn't ending in a hilltop finish, and if it is, you'll have sweat out the excess fluid in the race with your better endurance and huge ftp having trained with creatine.

I mean, you asked so I posted things I believe and while I'm not illiterate or bad at racing, it's up to you to take it or leave it or investigate further.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 06:33 PM
  #7586  
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,476

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Daniel used creatine all off season when he was lifting for about 2 years. He has not used it for a year. I expect he will again in the summer. I think it helped. It absolutely helped in the gym. For a while he was thinking of becoming a body builder :-)
As he is shooting for a hill climb, then he may back off before the event, but seems it does help build and recover.
Doge is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 07:22 PM
  #7587  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
The words are right there. Reduces inflammation and muscle damage from low-resistance exercise.

there's more: Creatine and Distance Running

and .5-2kg of water in your muscles is literally no big deal. Your race isn't ending in a hilltop finish, and if it is, you'll have sweat out the excess fluid in the race with your better endurance and huge ftp having trained with creatine.

I mean, you asked so I posted things I believe and while I'm not illiterate or bad at racing, it's up to you to take it or leave it or investigate further.
I see. I just didn't know if creatine was a thing or not. I've only heard of creatine used for weight lifting.
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 09:00 PM
  #7588  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Daniel used creatine all off season when he was lifting for about 2 years. He has not used it for a year. I expect he will again in the summer. I think it helped. It absolutely helped in the gym. For a while he was thinking of becoming a body builder :-)
As he is shooting for a hill climb, then he may back off before the event, but seems it does help build and recover.
cool thanks. before, during or after workouts? amount? are we talking like 5 grams in the bottle or something?

I have an old batch of creatine from 2013, when I was still using whey and not into cycling yet. unopened because I had no idea how to use it. wonder if it's still any good lol
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 09:09 PM
  #7589  
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,918

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Have you taken any recovery time since you've been sore?
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 09:24 PM
  #7590  
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,476

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
cool thanks. before, during or after workouts? amount? are we talking like 5 grams in the bottle or something?

I have an old batch of creatine from 2013, when I was still using whey and not into cycling yet. unopened because I had no idea how to use it. wonder if it's still any good lol
He took daily, morning. He lifted 3 days - typically road about 15 hours a week. You do need to drink. It did make him heavier and stronger.
I'm not 100% sure it is best for a climber. My gut is to use for training and stop a couple weeks before climbing.
Please do your own research on expiration dates.

Last edited by Doge; 01-24-17 at 05:05 PM.
Doge is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 10:49 PM
  #7591  
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,402
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
my legs have been perpetually sore for like 2 months. my anaerobic has been pretty crap. I can't sustain my top end for crap. my aerobic is strangely ok. I can do long tempo rides, but shorter intervals kick my ass. I'm guessing I just need to ride more, but are there ways that would allow me to have faster recovery and adaptation?
Rest more.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 11:09 PM
  #7592  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,449
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
my legs have been perpetually sore for like 2 months.
...
I'm guessing I just need to ride more...
This is the kind of thing that everyone else sees but the rider himself doesn't.

Can't hit numbers...must ride more.

If this were about anyone else, you'd probably have a different conclusion.
tetonrider is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 11:47 PM
  #7593  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Have you taken any recovery time since you've been sore?
yep. I just never seem to really recover in the legs. my volume is like 6-8 hours. plenty of rest days. want to go up to 10+ hours/week. want to take cycling seriously this year, and make real gains and try to be competitive cat 2 by end of season

Last edited by spectastic; 01-23-17 at 11:51 PM.
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 11:49 PM
  #7594  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
This is the kind of thing that everyone else sees but the rider himself doesn't.

Can't hit numbers...must ride more.

If this were about anyone else, you'd probably have a different conclusion.
I seriously don't think I'm over training. my volume is low.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6494858
spectastic is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 01:04 AM
  #7595  
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 3,462

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
As for sleep, it works wonders. Good sleep vs bad sleep can half my full recovery time.
Protein, Idk cuz I always take it after a workout and always get enough.
Creatine, interesting. I've always avoided it on purpose but may look into it again.
Other supplements I've tried are beta alanine and l citriline. But I get lazy and don't bother with it much anymore. I think they helped a bit though.
For recovery, it can take up to 3 or 4 days completely easy for me to feel fresh legs sometimes. 2 days off usually I'm fresh enough. A few weeks of light exercise and I'm feeling amazing. But I've also had slightly sore legs for many months on end to no ill effect, although it may have been better to rest up a bit every 5 weeks or so.

Track how much you can build without going crazy, keep a spreadsheet or something to track atl, ctl, tsb. Maybe you work better with big rest followed by a few weeks of big training.
aaronmcd is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 03:01 AM
  #7596  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 329

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I seriously don't think I'm over training. my volume is low.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6494858
Sleep quality was already mentioned so then: Are you eating enough? Under-eating will seriously mess with your recovery and gains.
gerundium is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 08:53 AM
  #7597  
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,918

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
No power attached to your strava. What sort of work are you doing when on your rides?
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 10:28 AM
  #7598  
Senior Member
 
TexMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,602

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.5hr commute this AM with 3X5 110%. Will shoot for 12x30sec on way home then off tomorrow.
TexMac is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 10:55 AM
  #7599  
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,865

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Annoyed that Zwift crashed just as it was uploading. Now I'm annoyed with myself for being annoyed about a virtual ride.
caloso is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 11:39 AM
  #7600  
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 703

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Annoyed that Zwift crashed just as it was uploading. Now I'm annoyed with myself for being annoyed about a virtual ride.
That's why I always record on my garmin as a backup
wktmeow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.