Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Elite Nationals in Louisville, KY

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Elite Nationals in Louisville, KY

Old 06-28-16, 11:32 AM
  #1  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Elite Nationals in Louisville, KY

Anyone going?

173 in the RR, it looks. On a 5 mile loop, I can imagine lots and lots of people being pulled before getting lapped.

Might be some kind of craziness.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 12:28 PM
  #2  
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,150

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 mile loop with near 200 riders, sounds like the Belgie Kermis scene in April
YMCA is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 01:14 PM
  #3  
spectastic
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Posts: 4,450

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a road race held on a 5 mile loop? huh?
spectastic is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 01:18 PM
  #4  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,393
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 25 Posts
I wish I was fast enough for it to be worth it to travel there...

Too bad they didn't keep it in Truckee this year!
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:24 PM
  #5  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
a road race held on a 5 mile loop? huh?
San Dimas RR is like a 7-mile loop, at least!
Ygduf is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:34 PM
  #6  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was going but based on the way this season has gone, we switched entry to a teammate....
And no I haven't logged in for about a year
rkwaki is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:43 PM
  #7  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
They've had masters nats there a few times previously. Gotta be better than that massive debacle of a course from last year.

Crit field limit looks capped at 100.

Steve Tilford is reporting that they are moving the crit course to another park (Shawnee) due to large field numbers (duh?!) and they may let more people in. Who knows.

Shawnee Park looks to have an interior road loop with virtually no corners, so hopefully they include roads outside the park to at least make it a little technical.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:49 PM
  #8  
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Posts: 8,564
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
They've had masters nats there a few times previously. Gotta be better than that massive debacle of a course from last year.

Crit field limit looks capped at 100.

Steve Tilford is reporting that they are moving the crit course to another park (Shawnee) due to large field numbers (duh?!) and they may let more people in. Who knows.

Shawnee Park looks to have an interior road loop with virtually no corners, so hopefully they include roads outside the park to at least make it a little technical.
They did move the course. I've raced in that park and they would need to move the finish line as it is a very dangerous sprint (I had to sit up in the sprint or eat a tree when trying to take the field sprint). Just a disappointment that a Nationals event has come to this type of course. I can assure you it won't be anything like that cluster at Masters Nationals.
rkwaki is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 03:20 PM
  #9  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
They did move the course. I've raced in that park and they would need to move the finish line as it is a very dangerous sprint (I had to sit up in the sprint or eat a tree when trying to take the field sprint). Just a disappointment that a Nationals event has come to this type of course. I can assure you it won't be anything like that cluster at Masters Nationals.
Thanks for the info. I still can't find any official mention of the course change, though. Where's the info. coming from? Are emails being sent out?

It's so ridiculous.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 09:52 PM
  #10  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,885
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know some local folk were irked that they couldn't register because the field was capped at 100. It's kind of late in the game to change the course to accommodate more racers. I can't imagine too many guys are going to be lining up flights, hotels, etc, on a whim that the potential course changes can get them into the race.
hack is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 06:48 AM
  #11  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,988
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 213 Posts
With a 5- or 7-mile loop, I'm guessing that makes it a bit more difficult to run multiple fields at the same time?

And my wife is heading up there. She is working at the collegiate recruiting event for the juniors today.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 07:14 AM
  #12  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I know some local folk were irked that they couldn't register because the field was capped at 100. It's kind of late in the game to change the course to accommodate more racers. I can't imagine too many guys are going to be lining up flights, hotels, etc, on a whim that the potential course changes can get them into the race.
I think it's more to accommodate the 73 people registered in the road race that couldn't get in the crit.

Anyway, finally got an email this morning showing the course change. Not sure how many more people they will let in, but hopefully some people that were only going to get to race one race can now do two.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 07:18 AM
  #13  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
With a 5- or 7-mile loop, I'm guessing that makes it a bit more difficult to run multiple fields at the same time?

And my wife is heading up there. She is working at the collegiate recruiting event for the juniors today.
No, just one field a race. RR is spread out over two days.

Going to be a tough one for the U23s. Elite RR is at 7am, so will probably be humid but not so blazingly hot. U23s go off after noon. I hear the course is pretty shaded, though.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 09:23 AM
  #14  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,885
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
I think it's more to accommodate the 73 people registered in the road race that couldn't get in the crit.

Anyway, finally got an email this morning showing the course change. Not sure how many more people they will let in, but hopefully some people that were only going to get to race one race can now do two.
ahhh ... makes sense
hack is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 01:22 PM
  #15  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
The Elite RR was heinous. A true sufferfest and race of attrition. So twisty and turny that you couldn't see more than 15 secs up the road save for one section outside the park and it was strung out for most of the race. No significant climbs, but four "hills" and constant undulations. Only one big turn (came to a standstill most laps) but tons of high speed sweepers.

I thought it was a pretty good road race course to separate the truly strong from the rest of us. I think the lead group finished with about 40 people out of the original 170+.

I got popped with 5 laps to go and rode around with a few more guys before we were pulled with 2 to go when Holloway (eventual winner) came up on us like a freight train.

My immediate thought afterwards was that it was like doing a 4 hour crit (my np numbers matched up like a few crits I've done this year), and I've since heard lots of other people saying something similar. There really was no reprieve at all like in most road races. Just on the gas for most of the race and once you got too far back you inevitably got popped off.

Finished up with a TSS of 335 for four hours. Clearly my lack of ever doing a race over three hours is woefully inadequate when racing at this level over 110 miles.

Overall a good experience and some new ideas to implement for the next go around. Doing national level races always resets the "what's actually good" bar, so glad I got to race.

Crit is tomorrow. Hoping it doesn't rain but the forecast isn't looking super promising.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 02:13 PM
  #16  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,612

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 276 Posts
Nice racing @rubiksoval. I enjoyed the write-up too.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 03:27 PM
  #17  
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Posts: 4,126
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah man, that's awesome, must be a very cool experience.

I'm kinda confused about this whole race though. Since Holloway won, does he get to wear a jersey when he races? What if he's racing against Greg Daniel? How does that work?
rankin116 is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 03:35 PM
  #18  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,049

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
Yeah man, that's awesome, must be a very cool experience.

I'm kinda confused about this whole race though. Since Holloway won, does he get to wear a jersey when he races? What if he's racing against Greg Daniel? How does that work?

Think this is it...(correct me f i'm wrong)
In any USAC amateur RR he wears the jersey.
As the cat 1 race is not a UCI race (it ranks below the U23 and 17-18) UCI/Internationally he would not wear the jersey. So Tour of CO, Tour of Utah - no jersey for Holloway.

But pretty cool all the same.

Last edited by Doge; 07-02-16 at 03:51 PM.
Doge is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 04:30 PM
  #19  
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Posts: 4,126
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely cool.

And I'm just thinking of random chances, but what if he and G. Daniel both race in a local, non UCI road race? They're usually P/1/2 or something, so they're both eligible to race it, and both would be allowed to wear their jersey?

Again, not that it matters at all, I'm just curious.
rankin116 is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 04:36 PM
  #20  
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's probably some rule forbidding G. Daniel from racing some local race officially, so I guess he would probably wear day glo green instead.
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 05:45 PM
  #21  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,885
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Think this is it...(correct me f i'm wrong)
So Tour of CO, Tour of Utah - no jersey for Holloway.

But pretty cool all the same.
I think Holloway needs to get on a team first.
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
Yeah, it's definitely cool.

And I'm just thinking of random chances, but what if he and G. Daniel both race in a local, non UCI road race? They're usually P/1/2 or something, so they're both eligible to race it, and both would be allowed to wear their jersey?

Again, not that it matters at all, I'm just curious.
When Holloway was crit nat'l champ one of the local guys was also the U23 crit nat'l champ. They both rocked their nat'l kits when they faced off in the local crits. See Alex Chiu pic below:

hack is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 06:07 PM
  #22  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,049

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
Yeah, it's definitely cool.

And I'm just thinking of random chances, but what if he and G. Daniel both race in a local, non UCI road race? They're usually P/1/2 or something, so they're both eligible to race it, and both would be allowed to wear their jersey?

Again, not that it matters at all, I'm just curious.
don't follow G Daniel, but I believe he has a Pro UCI license. So he may not race local if that is the case.
Cat 1 national is "recreation". That Holloway may be just as good as pros in single day races is another thing. Some races, it is the team that is invited. Most races a UCI pro does, the team is invited. Then the team provides the roster of riders. So it is not so much about ability (of course that matters) but association/license.
Holloway is not in that group. Jeffery Curran is.
Doge is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 06:10 PM
  #23  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,049

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I think Holloway needs to get on a team first.

When Holloway was crit nat'l champ one of the local guys was also the U23 crit nat'l champ. They both rocked their nat'l kits when they faced off in the local crits.
Chico 2015 allowed a junior NC to wear his NC kit in a senior race. While allowed by the referees, it was also against the rules.
Doge is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 06:39 PM
  #24  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,885
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Chico 2015 allowed a junior NC to wear his NC kit in a senior race. While allowed by the referees, it was also against the rules.
Rules or no rules, I think it'd be silly to not let a nat'l champ rock their kit (assuming the kit is for the discipline raced) at anything other than a UCI race..
hack is offline  
Old 07-02-16, 07:01 PM
  #25  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,049

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 135 Posts
Sure. My view is there shouldn't be a rule they choose not to enforce.

FWIW Redlands CR when asked the day before said Daniel could not where his TT kit as it was a junior one and Redlands was pro. So he wore shorts and jersey.
Doge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.